[thelist] Linux: how to add to $PATH var?

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Thu Nov 8 00:19:45 CST 2001

Hello,

I hope this is not to off topic. I am trying to give linux a go and am
having a very frustrating time of it. Personally, I don't see any
advantage in running this OS. Anyway, the problem stems from the fact
that I have just installed the Java jdk 1.3.1_01 onto my system and am
trying to add it to the path variable. Here are the specs that you need
to know to help me with this problem:

Linux: Red Hat 7.1
Java: jdk1.3.1_01

The command that I am using:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_01/bin

I am tried this as both root and as a normal user and what is happening
is that while I have the terminal open the new PATH stays and I can run
java and javac from anywhere and they work. However, if I close the
terminal and then reopen it again, the new PATH is gone and I have to
reenter it.

This is getting very annoying. I am trying to set up a java and jsp
development environment and so far it ain't working. Microsoft is
looking better and better all the time.

/chris