[thelist] CSS (addendum to my post)

judah at wiredotter.com judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Nov 12 15:13:30 CST 2001

At 01:06 PM 11/12/2001 -0800, I wrote:
>At 03:51 PM 11/12/2001 -0500, Ron quoted:
><snip>
>>  For example, setting the attribute on a link allows user agents (visual
>> and non-visual) to tell users about the nature of the linked resource:
></snip>
>
>Does anyone know a list of which browsers implement this behavior?

I realized (after I sent the post) that I was testing with image-based
navigation, so the <href> element was around an image.  When I tried a text
link, IE 5.01 did render the title attribute as a tool tip.  So it appears
that IE has the properties of the image override the properties of the
<href>.  Good to know.

It seems that for an href wrapped around an image, IE uses the following
precedence:

img title, img alt, href title

Mozilla's precedence appears to be:

img title, href title (and it never renders the img alt attribute as a tool
tip)

And Netscape 4.77 only renders the img alt attribute as a tool tip.

Judah