[thelist] Re: Found Lost Linux Pass

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Thu Nov 15 16:07:08 CST 2001

Hassan responded to a post of Frank's I seem to have missed, saying:
> Frank wrote:
>
> > 3) I was able to login into an account via telnet (?) and su (sudo to
> > some), but I can't seem to connect via SSH1. Are there any obvious
> > solutions I should be looking at?
>
> As previously mentioned, make sure the ssh daemon is running.
>
> Either way, look through /var/log/messages* and /var/log/secure*
> for indications of problems with ssh.

And check your sshd_config file.  By default OpenSSH will fall back to
SSH1, but someone may be trying to do you a favor by locking it down for
SSH2 only.  The line may say "protocol = 2" where you want it commented
out or saying "protocol = 2,1"

While there are nice free SSH1 clients for Windows, there IS a known
vulnerability with SSH1, so those in the know are pushing SSH2 very hard
indeed.  (I ran into much the same situation with TopGunSSH for the Palm
Pilot -- it's SSH1 only, so if you lock down OpenSSH, the Palm won't
connect any more.)

Given a Windows box, a moderately fat pipe, and a gig of free disk, you
could install Cygwin; that would then allow you to run OpenSSH to
confirm whether it's a -1 vs -2 problem.  Or get PuTTY, or another
SSH2-capable client.

> Holler (off-list if you want) for more on that.

Likewise.  I'm Only An Egg on the Web design side, but sysadmin stuff
is another story. :-)