[thelist] WinXP vs. MacOS X HTTP_USER_AGENT strings

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Fri Nov 16 09:22:56 CST 2001

Henning wrote:

> Hi Evolters, I hope there is a quick answer to this:
>
> I don't have access to my raw server logs, so I grabbed a CGI script to
> track hits. This script doesn't yet know about WinXP, though. Neither do
> I. So in order to add this to the script I need to know what to look out
> for.
>
> Can someone tell me, or point me to some resource to tell me,
>
>         - what user agents currently run under Windows XP?

pretty much anything that ran under previous versions of windows(IE, NS,
Opera, Mozilla..) an example of Opera under XP I got from evolts server
logs is: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows XP) Opera 6.0

>         - and what their HTTP_USER_AGENT strings are?

> Oh, and while we're at it:
>
>         - what user agents currently run under MacOS X?
>
>         - and what are their HTTP_USER_AGENT strings?

check out
http://www.htmlcompendium.org/reference-notes/7agent.htm

for a fairly complete listing of possible user-agents

.djc.