[thelist] WinXP vs. MacOS X HTTP_USER_AGENT strings

Adrian Simmons adrian at cubitum.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 20:08:19 CST 2001

>At 11:38 16.11.01 +0000, Adrian wrote:
>  >Mozilla 0.9.5
>>"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:0.9.5) Gecko/20011015"
>
>>Opera 5.0b3.393
>>*Lets you choose between these, first on is default on install*
>>"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Mac_PowerPC) Opera 5.0  [en]"
>>"Opera/5.0 (Macintosh;US;PPC) TP  [en]"
>
>So, am I assuming correctly that you have Opera running under a pre X OS?
No, this was running under OS X.

>And would it be a safe enough guess to go looking for /Win/ and
>/XP/, and /Mac/ and /OS X/, respectively?
I'm not sure you really need to make a distinction at this point,
between Mac and OS X, AFAIK there is no difference in HTML/CSS etc
rendering between a particular browsers OS versions. With the
exception of OmniWeb which is I think OS X native, these browsers
have all been 'carbonized' - the minimum amount of code required to
make them run under OS X has been changed, not a lot else.

Unless of course you are actually trying to send people to different
places depending on their OS, and in that case I think you're SOL. :)

--
Adrian

e-mail:
mailto:adrian at cubitum.co.uk