[thelist] The Tao of asking questions on thelist

Tyme nopun at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 20 17:18:12 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel J. Cody <djc at members.evolt.org>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] The Tao of asking questions on thelist

> i couldn't agree with this more. although long posts *can be* beneficial
> and helpfull, more often than not, they address things outside the
> original question in such amounts that the question gets lost in the
> noise. if the long post is long because its going in depth about the
> problem, its more likely too be read. if a long post is long because it
> skips around and addresses points other than the question, its less
> likely to be read.

TYME} I use subheadings to break up detailed posts/questions.  Eg.:
STRUCTURE: **applicable details about site structure ***
PROBLEM: ***
QUESTION: ***
CODE: ***

TYME} Mind you, few of my posts are ever answered on lists.  (Don't get me
started on the damned 15seconds ASP list.)  I like to think that it is
because they are difficult to answer.  However, they usually are soliciting
people's ideas or experience as to approach.  So, no excuse.  In other
words, I have been as frustrated, but I think my above-mentioned post
structure is good.