[thelist] german web terminology

Henning evolt at webmediaconception.com
Wed Nov 21 21:46:03 CST 2001

Iris

At 08:10 21.11.01 -0800, you wrote:
>i know there are some germans on this list.  i need
>your help.  you can reply in german / off-list.
>
>i'm having trouble with german web terminology.  i'm
>beginning to suspect that 'Domain' refers to a whole
>website rather than a domain name.  and what on earth
>is 'KonnektivitaetsKoordination (KK)'?

KK: process of transferral of domain ownership.

http://faq.puretec.de/einfuehrung/providerwechsel/1.html

>background:
>i'm trying to find a german registrar to transfer a
>.de domain to that i already own but that was
>registered for my family through the original host for
>their site.  i'll be hosting their site on my reseller
>account from now on and need a german provider to
>handle the name server entries (don't seem to be able
>to transfer the domain to a non-german registrar).
>that's all.  don't want hosting, email, url
>re-direction or anything like that.

BTW, how did you manage to register a .de domain in the first place? AFAIK
you need a German address to do so?

Though not meaning to discourage you, so far I haven't heard of a German
ISP offering standalone DNS service.
Things seem to be a little different here ;-)

The German NIC is an association of German ISPs. Naturally they are
interested in selling their products, i.e. hosting.

There is a fundamental difference in how the domain / hosting business is
being run in Germany.
Unlike in any other country I know of (US, UK, CH) in Germany usually you
don't a) register a domain, and b) find a hosting provider.

Most German ISPs really offer web space with domains attached, as it were.

O.k., in theory you can register directly with DENIC:

http://www.denic.de/DENICdb/domainreg/DENICdirect/index.en.html

Registering or transferring a domain with DENIC is EURO 116.00 each, though!

(DENIC really isn't interested in this kind of business though, but instead
they officially point you to their member ISPs to provide you with hosting
and domain registration.)

So to cut this short:
I guess you may have to find a German ISP that offers a package containing
domain registration and a domain redirect w/o hosting.

Currently this is being offered for EURO .69 per month plus a flat fee of
EURO 9.99.

I'd be happy to assist you if you wish. You may contact me off list.

HTH
Henning