[thelist] RE: Java/J++, general programming question

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu Nov 22 11:18:45 CST 2001

On 22 Nov 2001, at 19:53, Madhu Menon posted a message which said:

> >"Hey! If possible, could you find out for me if I
> >should be learning visual j++, or something else. My
> >understanding (I think) is that visual j++ is just a
> >compiler, but I want to make sure before I invest to

It's not just investing in the compiler, it's investing the time.

The handwriting is on the wall - and on court documents - for
Visual J++.  Why invest time and money in learning a product
that you *know* will soon be discontinued?  It seems like a
no-brainer to go with *real* Java, if you're headed in that general
direction and you don't plan on retiring or dying in the near
future.

deke

*Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,
my grandmother used to say, "The black cat is always the last one off
the fence." I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was
undoubtedly true. --
                       Solomon Short