[thelist] RE: TARGET="_blank"

Kim Hjortholm kim at payment4webmasters.com
Thu Nov 22 13:27:31 CST 2001

<snip>
What are your opinions on opening links in new windows? Do you use them?
Personally, I add links to new windows if they are amid content that I
want the user to come back to immediately. If it is on a "Links" page or
something similar, I will have the link open in the same window, since
the user is apparently ready to leave the site. Lately, I have been
adding more warnings if I think users may get confused otherwise.
</snip>

My take:

Internal links in the same window, external link in new window
- you want to keep a visitor on your site as long as possible,
with a new window for external links and thus a window open with
your site the chance to regain the users attention on your website is greater
("out of sight - out of mind")

As a user I think warnings is disturbing (my thinking goes something like
....  I clicked the link, so yes I do want to visit this page !)

anyway,

I think consistency in "window-behaviour" is a must, so either all external links
open in new window or in the same window.

regards

Kim Hjortholm