[thelist] market right now...

The Optimizer chrism at puffofsmoke.net
Mon Nov 26 07:29:03 CST 2001

Peter

[..]

> So where to start??? Should I just go there unpaid and not bother with a
> job right now? Any tips? Places to start? I need all the help I can get,
> living in different continents sucks...

I couldn't comment on the market, having not been there for a while but I
have the folowing comments FWIW.

I'm a UK citizen, and have now had three 'tours of duty' with three
different companies in the US. All were under different circumstances, but
the common factors were as follows:

1) I needed a US sponsor company.
2) I needed to be in my home country while the working visa was being
applied for.
3) A US lawyer was needed, 1 out of 3 times I was expected to pay for his
services.

I have a friend that paid an agency in the UK a sum of money to find a job
and sort out the visa in the US. This all worked out to his satisfaction,
but was not cheap. I would guess that if you want to get over there to
network, you could utilise the visa waiver scheme and get up to 3 months in
the US (not being allowed to work at all, and needing to prove that you can
support yourself for this period) before returning home to (hopefully)
proceed with a visa application. I would guess that given the current
situation in the US that this would far from guarantee you employment.

Give me a shout if you want more specifics on any of my employment
experiences over there, and good luck.

Regards

Chris Marsh