[thelist] market right now...

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Mon Nov 26 16:12:22 CST 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Ray Hill wrote:

> > That is quite the understatement.  The whole Web market is
> > a steaming pile of s--t right now regardless of specialty.
> > ...  NOBODY is hiring.
>
> And to top off the generally bad market, there's the fact that very
> few companies hire during the holiday season even in good times.  I

For the lurking newbies out there, there're a couple of good reasons for
this.

1.  Everything leads up to Christmas.  Vacations?  The people who don't
    want to deal with swarms of annoying holiday-takers often take their
    vacations immediately after Christmas.  The "ripple effect" of this
    is self-evident.  Meanwhile, those businesses which earn large
    portions of their revenue via consumer retail will earn a large
    proportion of THAT in the month of December.  Because of the "bigness"
    of the numbers involved, affected firms often start planning for the
    Christmas season in July... which means that a lot of businesses are
    effectively on "marketing autopilot" this time of year.  The
    consequences for Web developers are obvious...
2.  Firms don't sign off on their budgets until the start of the fiscal
    year (which is also the calendar year at most places).  That fact has
    got me in limbo with at least a couple of places as I write this:  no
    budget == no requirement == no posting == no interview.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."