[thelist] PHP mail() - message format

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Wed Nov 28 16:42:06 CST 2001

On Nov 28, Bill Haenel had something to say about RE: [thelist] PHP mail()...

>Have I fixed it? Maybe...
>
>I changed...
>$message = ereg_replace("(\n|\r)", "\r\n", $message);
>
>To...
>$message = ereg_replace("(\r|\r\n)", "\n", $message);
>
>...before sending with mail().
>
>And now text messages seem to be handled properly/same through four
>different accounts that did not handle the messages the same way before.
>
>Can anyone explain why different mail accounts (assumably different mail
>servers) were sending the same mail content in different ways? I understand
>what happened, I think...I just don't know what the rules are.

Oh. I was sure it was just that certain clients were automatically
wrapping the messages because they had no line wrap already. I guess I was
wrong.

But, if you would, double-check that. It's hard for me to believe that
mailservers change *anything* regarding the characters themselves (not
talking about encoding, or whatever) in a message body.

thanks,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com