[thelist] Textarea - HTML - line breaks

Ray Hill lists at prydain.com
Thu Nov 29 16:38:10 CST 2001

Ebay has he same problem, which is why so many of the auction posts
are so hard to read.  What you need to do, either when you're
submitting the info to the database or wen you're printing it to the
page, is do a search/replace to put a <br> wherever the user has
entered a carriage return.  That way the HTML output will behave
correctly.

In the case of eBay and similar sites, where automatically doing this
would ruin HTML content entry, I've always throught that the text area
should have a "Plain Text / HTML" radio button above it, so that it
inserts the <br> tag only for people who are entering plain text, and
leaves the input alone for those entering HTML.

Now if only we could get someone at eBay to implement that, maybe all
those new holiday auctions would be a bit more legible.  :)

--ray