[thelist] HTML Formatting/XHTML Compliance

Burhan Khalid burhankh at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 19:23:20 CST 2001

Evolters :

  Just thought I'd make an observation about the different snippets of HTML
code that I see in the digest. I have found that if you want your sites/HTML
to conform to the XHTML standard, you must have all tags/attributes in lower
case :

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com">Microsoft.com</A>

This will not work. Instead, in order to validate as XHTML, you must convert
it to :

Also, as I'm sure you all know, you must have ending tags for no-pair
tags(like <br>).

To accomplish this, append a / at the end. Like :

<BR>   (invalid XHTML)
that tag correctly.

In addition, all img tags must have alt= attributes, all items must be
Also, all script tags must have type="" attribute specified. A proper script
tag looks something like this :

<script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript" />

Note the / > at the end.

This is not all-inclusive (by any means). I just thought I'd point these
things out as they seem to come up often on the list.

For more questions about XHTML, and compliance guidelines, check the XHTML
recommendation at :

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/

I owe a tip.