[thelist] .:: Site refernces for linux Browsers ::..

Bruce Heerssen bruce at heerssen.com
Sun Dec 2 12:10:58 CST 2001

Navin Dhanuka wrote:

 > Hello LUGGERS,
 >
 > I am a Web-Developer, and have developed websites for only Win Platforms.
 > But now I am developing the site for for Bombay LUG.

heh, you found my weak spot...

 > Can anyone guidme to sites/portals  that use good style sheets &
rollovers &
 > work on linux browseres.

There aren't any that I know of. However, for Netscape and Opera things
seem work under linux just as they do in windows. Peter Paul Koch has
included the Konqueror Browser (very important in linuxland - and
flawed) in his JS pages at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/%7eppk/js/index.html

Of particular interest is the W3C compatability chart:
http://www.xs4all.nl/%7eppk/js/index.html?version5.html

Note that, according to this page, use of the CSS2 'cssRules()' method
crashes konqueror.

Also check out the Konqueror FAQ, which contains some useful information:
http://www.konqueror.org/faq.html

FWIW, Galeon (for the Gnome desktop) uses the mozilla rendering engine,
so you should be fine there also.

Of course, the three bywords in this business are "test, test, and
test". In that spirit, you may want to download a recent distro (if you
don't already have one installed). Dual booting is not as hard as it
seems, though it is a bit daunting for novices. For distros, I suggest
Red Hat or Mandrake. Both are also for sale at many computer/electronic
retail outlets. The mandrake retail version also includes documentation
(very nice) and I expect the redhat boxed set does too.

http://www.redhat.com/
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/

If you're feeling really adventurous, try developing your pages in linux
too. Lemme know if you want some tips on this.

-Bruce

--
---
Bruce Heerssen

"Freewheeling anarchy's great, but it doesn't scale very well." - Martin
Burns