[thelist] Flash degrading to .gif

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Dec 3 15:13:50 CST 2001

At 8:05 AM 12/3/1, aardvark wrote:
>ok, let's say i have a Flash logo on my site... and let's say that
>Flash logo can, obviously, sometimes be disabled by the user (no
>plug-in, refusal to let plug-ins run, etc.) and let's say i want to
>ensure a static image shows in its place and it gracefully
>degrades... and let's say i'd really like to see it validate...
>where can i go to see that type of code in place?

Easiest might be just a link to an optimized-text version. (Not everyone
can download or see a GIF, for instance.)

There are many trickier approaches possible, (I'm certainly guilty of
abetting this over the last six years!), but considering how the top sites
now use Flash ads as a matter of course, simplicity becomes the rule. Just
provide a link to the player, and a link to those who prefer text to
graphics.

Or get tricky, your call.  ;-)

btw, nice presentation, at bottom of page, with "learn about components":
<http://www.segway.com/consumer/segway/product_specifications.html>

jd