[thelist] audio hardware question

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 4 14:56:57 CST 2001

> From: "Bill Haenel" <bill at webmarketingworx.com>
>
> > remember, after compression for broadcast over the internet, if you
> > shoot for lower bandwidths, pristine audio isn't going to be a major
> > factor...
>
> I don't wish to be contradictory, but this is a bit opposite of our
> experience here at the radio station I work with. If we're not careful
> with the source audio, especially high-end distortion that isn't so
> audible in the source, the encoding process for lower bandwidths
> exposes the problems and magnifies them in the form of high-end

not contradictory, no... i was talking more about flat audio and the
like... for instance, your crispness is gonna disappear at lower
sample rates and the like...

however, i'm curious about your compression methods or
algorithms... i've experienced what you describe, but it hasn't been
as much of a factor for me, perhaps simply because of my
expectations...

> audible artifacts that you really can't miss. (Perhaps I misunderstood
> your meaning, and this doesn't actually contradict at all, but here's
> my mouth running anyway). Probably good to keep both the source and
> the destination of the sound in mind when forming a solution.

absotively... which is ultimately what i meant...