[thelist] Turning Printies into Webbies.

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Dec 4 15:38:14 CST 2001

At 1:22 PM 12/4/1, Andrea Belk wrote:
> I have a project coming up where I have to train a small group
> of print designers (ad agency level experience) on how to 'design
> for the web'.

One tack that may help is to have them imagine they're designing for a
thousand different service bureaus... instead of sending a file to a single
printer and seeing if it looks right, their documents are now being
rendered in many browser brands and versions, with very different settings,
on a wide variety of different types of computers with different monitors
and font sets.

They can't control how it looks like they can with a paper product... we
can *suggest* how it looks, and test during development on a wide range of
environments to see how our rendering suggestions do, but each visitor
really controls their own rendering environment.

Testing in a range of environments during production seems a strong way to
bring this reality home...?

jd