[thelist] Ssh on Linux

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Tue Dec 4 18:40:51 CST 2001

> On windows, I have a ssh program that allows for what in effect is an
> encrypted telnet session, however, it also comes with a secure ftp
> program and a really nice graphical interface for creating profiles
> and accounts.

Mind sharing that program with us Chris? I use the GUI SSH FTP windows
client from http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/ but I'd love to have a GUI SSH telnet
client for windows, the one I'm using is command line barbaric.

According to this tutorial you may already have what you want if you're
running Xwindows at client and RedHat7.1+ on the server

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/custom-
guide/openssh.html
<quote>
forwards the DISPLAY variable to the client machine. In other words, if you are
running the X Window System on your local machine, and you log in to a remote
machine using the ssh command, when you execute a program on the remote
machine that requires X, it will be displayed on your local machine. This is convenient
if you prefer graphical system administration tools but do not always have physical
access to your server.
</quote>

>  I have been told that it is far superior to telnet

That's an understatement! Using telnet is like leaving your keys in your car,
it's an open invitation to a hacker to even have it turned on, SSH is not just
superior, it's essential equipment these days.

keith