[thelist] SVG versus Flash?

Joergen Ramskov mqy4fxax36001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Dec 5 04:57:30 CST 2001

Hi all,

I've been playing around a tiny bit with SVG just to get a little feeling of
how it works. It looks pretty cool and relatively simple.

I have never worked with this before at all - in other words - I know
nothing about Flash.

What I'm interested in is creating something that works like
http://www.thebrain.com/ - I don't want to create a SVG version of their
application, it is for a total diffent kind of application. It's the way to
navigate around I'm thinking about. The "menu" items should be created
dynamically from a database.

I figure SVG or flash would be the ideal choice for creating such a thing
(well creating the graphical part of it), but I'm of course open to other
suggestions.

It should be said that it should be possible to show other stuff (graphs,
diagrams, etc.) too.

Of course there are advantages to choosing both SVG and Flash. Here is what
I could think of:
Good (SVG): Open standard/W3C Recommendation, future browsers will probably
support it.
Bad (SVG): It's new, currently quite limited support in browsers, few
resources exists yet.
Good (Flash): It's the standard today, a lot of resources, good support in
browsers, been on the marked for quite a while.
Bad (Flash): It's proprietary and not a W3C recommendation, browser support
is up to Macromedia.

As I said before, what is important is support for creating it dynamically
from a database. What is the best choice there? I think I've heard Flash is
not that good, but maybe that's wrong?

Where can I find more info? (I have looked a bit around the net, but can't
find much about this)

Thanks in advance.

Greetings
Joergen Ramskov