[thelist] Email Validator

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed Dec 5 15:53:03 CST 2001

On 5 Dec 2001, at 20:41, Matthew Blanchard posted a message which said:

> I'm not a "net lawyer" so I don't know if "somebody at blah" is valid as an
> internet address. I don't think it is "politically" possible.

You'd think so, but no. If you have a machine is named "blah" in your
hosts file, and you have a username of "somebody" on the machine,
the address works.  The webserver at my feet sends me emails
several times a week as "root at localhost"

But I admit the first time I was taken aback the first time I realized
that not only was there a valid URL http://www.com but there was an
apparently thriving website on that machine.

deke

--------
We are the parents our people warned us about....