[thelist] SVG versus Flash?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Wed Dec 5 16:13:30 CST 2001

At 2:46 AM 12/5/1, Joergen Ramskov wrote:
> What I'm interested in is creating something that works like
> http://www.thebrain.com/

You're talking about the Java-based navigation system, right? If so, then
on a quick glance I like it too... it's essentially a set of hierarchical
submenus which reposition themselves during use, yes...?

The hierarchical submenus are straightforward enough... searching on "tree"
at http://www.macromedia.com/exchange/flash pulls up a couple of
ready-to-roll implementations which use either hardwired menus or XML-fed
menus.

For repositioning each node to the center as it's chosen that's rarer...
I've seen similar work in the past, but when I search Google with terms
like "'Macromedia Flash' hierarchical navigation menu" I get too many hits
to quickly weed through. The key technique is to put textfields into
individual clips which can then be repositioned programmatically. It's
easier to make a hardwired menu that one which relies on dynamic data, but
both tasks are regularly accomplished.

(For SVG, much depends on your audience... very few people have any SVG
viewing capability at all, much less the latest Adobe feature set. If you
can control the viewing environment then this may be an option, otherwise
it's hard to see. SVG is a great vector-description format, but that's
distinct from being a practical viewing format.)

Anything in particular you're seeking...?

jd