[thelist] When can the client keep the product as their own?

Faye Tarzwell(FayeC) ftarzwell at fayec.com
Wed Dec 5 20:01:35 CST 2001

Hi,

After asking some questions for a friend some time ago I found out that
most developers recognize e-commerce sites or modules as subject to
copyright and therefore they are not products that the client, who paid
for them, can really keep or do whatever he wants to do with them.
Now I am wondering...if you are an employee of a company who wants to
put an e-commerce site online will your programming be considered yours
or the company's?
In which cases the client can keep whatever you did (graphic design,
programming, etc) as his own and is there any specific circunstances
where the work performed by an employee is rightfully the client's or
the company's?

Thanks in advance for any answers to my many questions,

--
FayeC