[thelist] PERL? - was [F2S Announcement]

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Dec 6 11:00:41 CST 2001

er. i meant the *other* garrettc that *does* know perl.

ya.

i owe :)

<tip type="peroformance tuning">

On unix machines, vmstat is a helpfull command for identifying
performance bottlenecks in your webserver. Heres some sample output from
concerning processes and memory(fixed width font would be good):

    procs                      memory    swap
  r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so
  1  0  0      0 120432  41152 423420   0   0

the first three columns are concern processes r(waiting), b(sleeping),
w(swaped out or backgrounded). The next column, swpd, is how much swap
space(virtual memory) you're using. In this example, I'm using none,
which is good. If you're disk is always swapping, performance is
*severely* hindered. This is also a good sign you need more physical
memory in your box. The next column, free, tells me I've got 120M of
free physical memory, a good thing. Next, buffer and cache, tell me I've
got around 41Mb of memory 'buffered'(the pergatory of read/write IO),
and around 420Mb of RAM cached. The more data you can get cached, the
better performance you'll see out of your webserver as you won't need to
performe resource intensive I/O. Finally, si and so, tell me how much(if
any) data is being input(si) or output(so) from virtual memory in therms
of kB.

More we could go into, but beyond the scope of a tip :)

</tip>

.djc.