[thelist] DSL in America

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Thu Dec 6 14:21:26 CST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Eöl wrote:

> Ben Henick,

Just "Ben," thanks.

> I believe you are misreading the term *unlimited*.

You may well be right.

> Bet your TOS has a blivet that says within reasonable
> use or something along those lines.  Try creating a
> program that uses 100% of your d/l and u/l bandwidth
> 24 hours a day 7 days a week for a month or two.
> Heck, make one that even uses 25% of it.  Bet you get
> a call and a cancel from your ISP.  Your ISP pays for

I don't doubt it, either.  Every ISP AUP I've ever read is loaded with
"reasonable use" provisions.

> every bit you send/receive in peering  and transit
> costs.  The reason they can offer unlimited is because
> they expect reasonable residential use where you line
> is idle or <10% use the majority of the time (ie
> sleeping/work/you aren't using bandwidth when you are
> viewing a page (as it is already d/l'ed).  1GB per
> month does seem kind of low though.

...And again, the "unlimited" datum I gave in my previous message was a
quote from what the *telco* told me.  Dialup ISP's are typically VERY
clear about throughput restrictions, just as in Madhu's situation.

Now, for the math:

((86400 / 4) * 192K) == (21600 * 192K) == 4.1472GB

Egad, that's a lot.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."