[thelist] Can't get MySQL to run on Boot (was: Single install of PHP4, MySQL, Apache for Linux?)

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Dec 6 17:36:06 CST 2001

Chris Johnston wrote:

> Well, just about ready to give up and install the rpm. Forget this
> binary stuff. Yea, I like to torture myself on a thursday evening!!!

what did you do that didn't work? I think what andrew meant to say was
look in the 'support-files' directory for the startup script
mysql.server .(unless we're running two different versions, or binaries
are packaged different than source)

Take the mysql.server file and add it to /etc/rc.d/init.d/ with 'cp
mysql.server /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld'

Then run 'chkconfig --add mysqld'

Then run 'chkconfig --list' to make sure its installed and will start up
at runlevel 3

Then run 'man chkconfig'
Then run 'man init' :)

> The question comes to mind: Is Linux really worth the trouble?

Well you only poked around with it for an hour... Linux is only as worth
as much as you're willing to put into it

Thankfully you have us to help you along the way, shout if you have any
more questions :)

.djc.