[thelist] Can't get MySQL to run on Boot (was: Single install of PHP4, MySQL, Apache for Linux?)

Dave Preston caffiend at simianbrotherhood.org
Thu Dec 6 18:55:59 CST 2001

> 1. what is the difference between mysql and mysql-server?
I suspect that mysql (rpm I assume) is just the client tools, used to
connect to the server itself. and MySQL-server is just the server
itself.

> 2. What exactly does chkdonfig do? Where can I learn more about that, it
> sounds like it is somewhat important.
I believe that chkconfig is a redhat specific script for validating the
format of init scripts.

> 3. How powerfull is rc.local on Red Hat 7.2 and are there any
> limitations in using it. Can I simply place a command such as
> /path/mysql/safe_mysqld & in it and expect to run or do I really need to
> go through the fancy chkconfig process?
rc.local is just a shell script that is executed immediately after the
system has come up. It is run as root, so it is very powerful indeed,
please be careful.

> For now, that is it.
>
> Thank you all for your help.
glad to help, trying to use unix based systems can often be a trial, but
it is well worth it in the long run. Just stay away from lpd.. oh, dear god
no!

-d