[thelist] QuickTime

david currey david.currey at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 6 21:25:40 CST 2001

on 12/7/01 2:05 AM, LMP at aruba at cybersync.com wrote:

> Evolt,
>
> We just created 8 QuickTime VR Tours for a client. When they went to
> download QT they can't install because their IT guys don't allow
> installs. OK, we got passed that and installed QT. Still did not work.
> It
> seems the IT guys block movies on the router. They won't even get
> through.
>
> Does anybody have any other ideas that we can get around this problem? I
>
> thought I read or saw some java script or applet that would run .mov.

sorry but no real good news here , just some help (maybe)
there are java applets that can display a pano ,but i am sure the quality is
nowhere near what you are going to get using the QT plugin, and I am nearly
sure that they can't handle multi nodes without reauthoring your hotspot
tracks from "apple graphics" codec to a tiff codec . I assume you have
multinodes becuase you called them "VR tours". If there is such an applet
that can just about do the job for you the next hurdle is the rumors on the
quicktime talk lists about java vr applets not working in explorer 6.

take a look at:
http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/

and * Viewing Quicktime VR without Quicktime

http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTVJ/ptmvj.html

the link above looked promising at first until you read that it is still a
.mov that is requested from the server. there are other java viewers that
just request a jpg, but once again, I am definately not recomending any of
these over the QT solution.

http://eslit.com/java/multiviewer.html

http://www.nemeng.com/java/

<rant>Even though I am not surprised, I am sickened by these IT'ers and
their "router patrols" if they want to see vr, they are just going to have
to let it through the router. This is the second time this week that I have
"recomended" someone to go to the panotools site, and a further example of
why I am a commercially unsucessfull quicktime developer :( </rant>

david currey

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/space.craft/