[thelist] RE : [SMIL]RealNetworks has a ton..

paw at f2s.com paw at f2s.com
Fri Dec 7 02:40:42 CST 2001

Hi Andrew.

(one more time. This is a laugh : Halfway through my answer, my BACKSPACE got
stuck *ROLF*. No comments, OK !!)

Thanks for the link. I´m not writing about realplayer, and I don´t know if
this case could have been done with RP (I doubt it). I use Quicktime and take
advantage of the QT-extensions from Apple, meaning I start with :
-----------
SMILtext
<SMIL>
-----------
The trick is to save the SMIL with QT-extensions as a MOV-file. That way you
can embed it in a new SMIL-file and get it to work with other formats
supported by Quicktime (which took me about 2 weeks to figure out).
The case is 4 infokiosks in a mall running 4 heavy trailers (in full screen)
interrupted by 4 Flash-commercials (and company logo has to be shown all the
way). (IE6 have a tendency to crash, while IE5.5 can run for days. Could that
be some sort of a memoryleak ? This is a real problem, ´cause I can´t hide the
cursor using IE5.5 !!).
The machines are underpowered, which means I´m skipping frames to make it run
smoothly, and using the 'qt:immediate-instantiation="true"' to keep the
machines from coughing up blood.

Since this solution only covers one specific task, I would like to hear from
others with exprience in this field, and maybe do a "joint article", ´cause it
was really hard to dig out any information, and I have´nt be able to find any
help in Denmark, or any real usefull info from Apple.

I want to deliver a broad article, and not just a "I´m-the-center-of-the-
universe-thing".

Do you know any on evolt who have been messing with something similar ??

Best regards

Paw Damsgaard
mail : paw at f2s.com