[thelist] formmail "bad referrer" error, with no apparent cause?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Dec 7 13:14:18 CST 2001

I was just looking through logs and noiticed a bunch of failures like:

/cgi-bin/formmail.pl?recipient=ken[edited]20021 at yahoo.com,&subject=good
news&email=R26587 at excite.com&=http://[edited]/cgi-bin/formmail.pl

My first thought was that someone was trying to send spam through an
exploit - this is Matt's FormMail ... Perl isn't even on the server,
the file was just left over from a transfer.

Is the failure in your log file or do you know of someone that's
legitimately trying to use it?

>Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be causing one user to
>get a bad referrer error on a form?  The cgi script is a slight
>modification of Matt's FormMail.  It hasn't been changed for 6
>months, it had been working normally, and works when I test it now.
>The referrer that the script error handler reported as being in
>error is one of the referrers in the referrer array.  If anyone can
>help with this puzzle, I'd be really grateful.
>TIA
>
>--
>Cheers,
>
>Heather Quinn