[thelist] friday's obscure bug report (NN3/win95)

nate koechley nate at vicksburgcollective.com
Fri Dec 7 15:19:38 CST 2001

Stumbled on this one before? (And a RFC at the end.)

_____Platform:
Netscape 3, (3.02 Gold), Win95
	(If you know any of the 6 people in the world still using the
configuration, I'd love an opportunity to "talk" to them. <wink>)

_____Code:
<form>
	<select>
		<option>foo
		<option>bar
	</select>
</form>

_____Bug
This shows up basically fine (except significantly wider than the widest
element). However, if you add closing option tags ( </option> ) to each
element, the select box no longer shows up initially. It _will_ show up
after the browser has either 1) been resized; 2) been scrolled, 3) or
redrawn (such as pulling off and then back on screen).

I tried a few things and couldn't isolate this. I guess it's just a bug...

_____RFC:
I know </option> is a non-required tag, but I've tended to use it out of
habit and good-hearted-thoroughness. This is now a [small] reason to
officially NOT use the </option> tag. I'd appreciate hearing a list of
reasons TO use it?

cheers,
nate

nate koechley