[thelist] SVG versus Flash?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Dec 7 18:32:36 CST 2001

>  > Anything that can be shown by the Flash player can be created/updated
>>  via a database ... you just need to produce text files with the
>>  backend software of your choice.
>
>Okay - is it easy? How do you do it with ex. java?

You just need to have an action in your Flash movie that calls a file
containing text in a format Flash can use ... can be .jsp, .asp .cfm
... Flash doesn't care ... you just need to either give it a string
of name/value pairs like

var1=value one&var2=value two&var3=whatever

or make it well formed XML and manipulate the values into usable
values with ActionScript's XML Object:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/action_scripts/objects/xml_object.html

>  > Same thing with ActionScript on all counts minus learning
>>  ActionScript, which IS ECMAscript compliant ... if you know
>>  JavaScript, learning ActionScript is just a matter of getting
>>  familiar with the Flash specific methods and properties.
>
>Well, I need to learn even less with SVG, correct?

Don't know ... maybe. But if you're going to learn something new,
seems the smart thing top do would be to learn something that's
likely going to be applicable to future projects ... but who knows,
maybe that will be SVG in a year ... but right now, most of my work
at least has been integrating Flash with the backend ... works nice.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/