[thelist] php vs asp

Eöl eol1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 19:20:08 CST 2001

Just to start the battle :P

PHP (on apache, !IIS (I have no experience with php
IIS)) runs just fine on windows  (all my corp
production servers run php/apache/mysql on windows.
Yes they all compile just fine on win32, no they
aren't just for *nix (common misperception).

Flipside .. mod_asp (for apache) sucks bad.  If you
like asp, run IIS.

 From a pure which is more useful side,  I personally
believe php is a the more useful language of the two
to learn as its cross-platform.  You learn it and you
can run it whether your biz is a *nix environment
(read apache) or a windows enviroments (read apache on
win32).

I won't comment on php on IIS since a) i have never
ran it on IIS b) I don't see why anybody in their
right mind would ever even run IIS (other than a
non-techie biz guy telling them they are required to
run IIS and the techie  not successfully arguing how
IIS is a useless buggy insecure bloated non-reliable
piece of crap and that you are expected to pay for
that piece of junk)

ASP is the IIS world only.  But that could suit you
just fine as many developers get sucked into the IIS
world  and never leave.  If you are planning to never
leave the IIS world, learn asp.  99 out of 100 times I
would say IIS corps are running asp on IIS and !php on
IIS.

Cheers,

Eöl