[thelist] php vs asp [More specific]

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Fri Dec 7 21:30:28 CST 2001

> Regardless of the OS, the webserver, the version of PHP and
> (quite possibly)
> the database, is there any real point in learning and developing with PHP
> (other than my own insatiable thirst for knowledge ;).
>
> Lordy, I do believe that's even more general...  "Should I learn PHP?"
> indeed!

Hi, Michael --

You've gotten some good answers already, but I just want to throw in a
comment.

If you know ASP and you're diligent about maintaining your IIS server, then
start with that. There's a lot to be gained from the inherent connections
between the two, and moving from Access to SQL Server will only increase
those gains.

If you're good with ASP, you can pick up PHP without too much difficulty.
I'm in the process of it right now. At work I'm in a total MS environment,
and on the side I'm working with a non-profit running
Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP.

My personal feeling, as a non-sysadmin, is that it seems to make more sense
to go one way or the other (MS or Open Source), and focus on proficiency, as
spinhead said.

Rudy mentioned Cold Fusion, which is a really valid option if 1) you want to
use something other than ASP and 2) you can pony up the money for the
server. I've only worked with it minimally (helping out on some mundane
Evolt stuff), but it's a well-designed and easy-to-learn system.

IOW, play to your strengths, but be ready to expand. :)

David