[thelist] .httacesss problem

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Sat Dec 8 15:01:12 CST 2001

On 8 Dec 2001, at 15:54, Diego Lafuente posted a message which said:

> I made an .httacess file and uploaded to the root folder on my webserver
> following the instructions of the FAQ of my web hosting....
> in the .httacess file i should set this 3 lines of texts:

> ErrorDocument 401 http://www.minid.net/404.html
> ErrorDocument 403 404.html
> ErrorDocument 404 404.html

If you just put a filename, not a complete URL, it will look for a
404.html file in whatever directory the user specifies. Not good. If
your user asks for www.minid.net/a/b/c/d/something.html, the server
will look for /a/b/c/d/404.html and since the directory doesn't exist,
the server isn't going to find the 404.html file.

You could specify /404.html, but actually you are better off with
   ErrorDocument 401 http://www.minid.net/404.html
   ErrorDocument 403 http://www.minid.net/404.html
   ErrorDocument 404 http://www.minid.net/404.html
because some browsers substitute their own error messages for
yours unless there is a full URL and not just a file name.

> then i upload the 404.html to my root folder.

Things in your root directory cannot be accessed by the web
server. You need to put the 404.html file in the same directory
as your index.html home page.

> Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was
> encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument
> to handle the request.

You must have used the right spelling for .htaccess or the server
wouldn't see your ErrorDocument directive.

deke

--------
We are the parents our people warned us about....