[thelist] Calling a function in ASP from a link

Chris Blessing webguy at mail.rit.edu
Sun Dec 9 14:40:14 CST 2001

I'm assuming since you're talking about db interaction, you've written a VBS
function in an asp page somewhere.  You can't use that function client-side.
That's the whole idea behind ASP/PHP/JSP, etc.  They're server-side
languages that are interpreted on the fly by the web server.

What you *could* do is link the person to another .asp page which contains
your function, pass it some data via a querystring or something, then use
that data in the function and redirect the user from there.  The point is
that you have to keep things separated between client-side (browser; i.e.
javascript form checking, etc.) and server-side (web server; i.e. db
queries, etc.).

Chris Blessing
webguy at mail.rit.edu
http://www.330i.net