[thelist] CSS layout site check

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 04:07:17 CST 2001

>It's great to try to do all CSS layout if only to see what's a good
>idea to try to do with CSS: yes, indeed - it does look horrible in NN 4.x.

As far as I can see it can look OK-ish in NN4 if you put the image outside
the P. An image inside a P with a line-height fouls up mightily in NN4, if
you put it outside the P it will probably look much better.

If you redefine

border-bottom: 4px solid #000066;

as

border-bottom-width: 4px;
border-style: solid;
border-bottom-color: #000066;

the border below the logo will also show up correctly in NN4. (Well, maybe
it should be border-bottom-style and border-color, I'm not sure).

>The layout looks nice in the browsers that get it as you intend it,
>but when there will be real people visiting with real browsers ...
>dunno, obviously if you can achieve the layout you want with CSS you
>can also do it with tables ... so why not tables?
Because CSS is more fun <g>. Besides, I took a look in NN3 and it still
looked OK (though most of the style is gone, of course). Still readable.

All in all a good example of the power of CSS.

ppk