[thelist] too many bots

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Fri Dec 14 14:35:09 CST 2001

At 6:52 AM 12/14/1, Chris George (GSNet) wrote:
> Tuesday of this week our hits skyrocketed to double our normal
> traffic (from 56000 hits/day to almost 130000/day)- as it turns
> out GoogleBot and the AV spider were going to town.

I don't know if this is relevant, but earlier this week Google announced
that they'd be indexing certain sites more frequently... getting fresher
news hits, for instance:
http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/01/sd1211-google.html

But 50,000 queries to a site does seem a bit much; there's probably
something else going on there...?

Google is still my main engine. For "too many hits" queries I jump to
Teoma.com, which prioritizes by links (as Google basically does), but which
emphasises links from other hits instead of just raw links. For news and
breaking stories I've been using alltheweb.com.

btw, I've really been enjoying the much deeper Usenet archive introduced at
groups.google.com this week... fun stuff in there.

jd