[thelist] OT: job in us question

Peter peter at poorbuthappy.com
Sun Dec 16 06:24:45 CST 2001

<tip type="more of a rant">
NN4.7 lives on, for example in New York Public Libraries, or in many
internet cafes. So all the talk about not supporting it is pretty
irresponsible. People with little money often use libraries and internet
cafes to find crucial information on the net.
</tip>

<tip>
When uploading a httpd.conf file to your apache server make sure you do it
as ASCII filetype not Binary. Dumb mistake but took me lots of time last
week to figure it out.
</tip>

Help! I need to move to the US in order to live with my baby, but it's
obviously not a good time. I'm confident enough in being able to get a job,
it's the visa that worries me. "The H1B does require 3 years of
professional experience as well as the equivalency of a BA degree.", and I
only have two years of (very solid) experience. My degree is in arts,
specialization photography. Hope that cuts it.

So my question is: does that 3 year experience requirement get checked? If
I only have two years am I out of the boat straight away? I have more
experience, but that's non-commercial, does that count? And if so, do I
need to work it in my CV?

I read somewhere that after the events in NY there are now plenty of H1B
visas to go around, for some reason. Is that so, and if so, why?

Thanks, I really need help on this... Long distance relationships suck...
(my portfolio is partly online at http://petervandijck.net - any comments
on that welcome as well)
Peter