[thelist] multiple versions of IE on a PC (Win98SE)?

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Mon Dec 17 15:07:51 CST 2001

Paul,

> >any version of IE from version 4 up will overwrite previous versions
> >of IE... that's just the way it is...  you can, however, keep IE2
>
> Not true, I have successfully installed the Beta releases of 5.5 and 6
> alongside their predecessors and have seen various legacy versions running
> on the same system if installed in different directories.

    Hmm. I have to say that, on the surface, this sounds very unlikely to
me. One big reason: IE relies on -- and updates -- system files and shared
files, and not simply those files in the Internet Explorer folder. At best,
what I suspect you are seeing is that the legacy browser framework may
persist, but that the guts of the browser are entirely updated.

James Aylard