[thelist] Pop-up Stopper recommendations

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 18 08:41:19 CST 2001

> From: "Tyme" <nopun at bellsouth.net>
>
> > > Could someone tell me of a better popup stopper ?
> >
> > um, turn off javascript?
>
> TYME} Well, now, isn't this reply just a waste of bandwidth.  How
> practical is this advice, really?  Like trying to kill lawn crickets
> with a nuclear bomb.

actually, it's darn good advice for many users... for instance, on my
machine at home (my spare, now), it runs so close to the edge
that any apps outside of those *absolutely* necessary apps just
contribute to its doggedness...

and for people who can't or won't install add-ons like Pop-Up
Stopper (like me), it's easier to just toggle JS on and off...

IOW, it *is* a viable solution for those who don't care about JS and
can still surf without it... but if *all* you want it windows to go away,
then, yeah, you'll probably need an add-on...