[thelist] New Site -

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Wed Dec 19 03:33:22 CST 2001

Hi,
I'm afraid I don't like this very much.
It's got an irritating splash-screen that I have to mouse-around on , only
to find it's just a time waster.
Windows keep popping up all over the place, something I automatically
associate with geocities-type free hosting, or porn-sites.
Stuff keeps moving around all over the place, that has no relevance besides
being decorative (sic) .
Waiting for a page to load is boring, but when we have to wait for a
designers little whims to finish moving around, instead of just showing it
right away...
All the pre-loading slows the browsing experience to a crawl, after clicking
on three links I hesitate to go any further for fear of having to wait for
yet more pre-loading.
There's a definite "arty-farty" atmosphere, of "let the user explore the
page, to find the links" instead of making it clear from the start. If I am
really interested in buying a car I want to be able to print a quick - clear
list of the features, instead of having to mouse-around an inconsistent
partially-invisible outline of a car. (A list I did find after the
mousing-experience.)
And where there is a list of specs, the "MINI COOPER SPECIFICATIONS" page
(couldn't select an copy that text either...) I can't use my mouse-wheel to
scroll them, the scroll-bar doesn't work as easily as it should, and I can
try print-preview because you've hidden my menus (what for - would they
show-up your back-forward bar?).
I can't increase the text-size - which is really no luxury, as I think it
must be 8 or 9 point whitish test on black background.
The sound-flips all the time should have been left in the nineties, where
they belong.

All in all, the best improvement to make would be a link to an HTML version
on the splash-page. Then try to set a different set of priorities - you've
got an arty site for people with time on their hands, try a second one that
set's speed, clarity, accessibility, on the fore-front, and cuts through the
hype to show the facts. The car should sell itself.

Richard.