[thelist] To those ones who can't wait (is: IP theft)

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Dec 20 14:51:17 CST 2001

At 11:22 AM 12/20/1, James Wampler - Evolt wrote:
> John Dowdell wrote:
>> At 4:18 PM 12/19/1, Diego Lafuente wrote:
>>> a yummy screen of Adobe Photoshop 7 for mac OS X.
>>
>> Anybody got an URL for Diego's medical history?
>
> What specifically does Diego's medical history have to do
> with posting a screenshot of Photoshop 7?

It's a parallelism, an analogy, a mirror, an example... both are cases
where someone else's internals are published without their consent.

> Adobe actually benefits from this kind of thing....

That's like me saying you'll actually thank me later for the more refined
faculties brought about by a forced trephination... it's not my place to
determine your values for your private property.

> where as I would be upset if someone stole my code or graphics
> and used them on their website, I would be flattered if someone
> posted a screenshot of one of my sites and said it was cool.

... but not if it was a site in development where the only people who had
access to it were trusted people who signed non-disclosure agreements, and
whose early forced publication could lessen the value of current sales and
offer competitive advantage to others.

Key concept: Using Adobe's private property without their consent is an act
of violence, a use of force... it is not a mutually consensual
relationship. This is all very, very simple.

jd