[thelist] *beg* Object/Embed tag working in NS, not IE

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Dec 20 14:59:33 CST 2001

The usual cause for "works in Netscape but not IE/Win" is when the OBJECT
and the EMBED point to files in different locations, but that's not the
case here.

Another way to get that symptom would be with an incorrect CLASSID, so the
browser tries to call up an ActiveX Control which doesn't exist, but that
part looks correct in your example too.

With the frames I couldn't get quickly to the source to prowl for other
potential causes... wasn't even sure where the QuickTime is supposed to be,
so I can't tell if I'm not seeing it or not.

A quick way to isolate the difference is to do some some-or-all testing...
checking whether that browser can view any QuickTime on any site correctly
is a way to isolate configuration differences... checking whether it can
view any QT in any HTML you upload to your server is another way... might
be a TEXT upload rather than binary, might be a path problem, might be
something in the frameset jump... testing some simpler examples first can
show where the exact difference is.

jd