[thelist] To those ones who can't wait (is: IP theft)

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Thu Dec 20 15:45:18 CST 2001

miriam,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Miriam Frost
>
> > No, it was a forced, non-consensual relationship. It
> > may not be physical violence, but it is a use of
> > force: "I can do this, and I bet you can't stop me."
>
> Errrm. OK.
> Nevermind.
> Forget it.
> If you're going to equate someone stupidly posting a
> screengrab - which they shouldn't have done - with
> someone knocking my teeth out with their fist? Well.
> Allllllllrighty then.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

on the contrary.  *you* are equating his use of the word "violence" with
knocking teeth in.  however, that's only one of the definitions of
violence*.

1. Physical force exerted for the purpose of violating,
   damaging, or abusing: crimes of violence
2. The act or an instance of violent action or behavior.

i think he's using "violence" with regard to the following definition:

4. Abusive or unjust exercise of power

* http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=violence

in this instance he's spot on with his use of the word.  intellectual
property has been stolen.  the non-disclosure agreement has been violated.
apple has every right to pursue the offender for damages.

btw, all of you participating in this "is it 'violence'" thread owe tips.
pay up!

<tip type="bookmarklet" author=".jeff">

  wanna know the definition of a word on a page you're viewing in your
browser?  maybe you have a browser window open and just happen to have a
word pop into your head that you wanna know the definition for.  either way,
add this bookmarklet to your favorite browser (ie4+ or nn4+) and use it
whenever the need arises.  to use, simply highlight a word in the browser
and click the bookmarklet.  or, if a word isn't highlighted, it will give
you a prompt where you can type in the word.  once this is complete a new
window will open to dictionary.com with the definition (if it's available).

javascript:R=(document.getSelection)?document.getSelection():document.select
ion.createRange();T=(document.getSelection)?R:R.text;if(T=='')T=prompt('What
word would you like a definition
for?','');if(T&&T!='')window.open('http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl
?term='+escape(T),'selectedText');void(0);

</tip>

thanks,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/