[thelist] Business/Payment Question........

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sat Dec 29 01:57:16 CST 2001

>that client will walk when someone comes along who can
>offer the immediate service they want...

Hell, if a client "walks" because you're down on them for not paying,
so be it ... warn the next victim if you can.

My contract says I own the work until final payment has been made and
my hosting contracts states when I can take down the site due to
non-payment ... I've acted on those clauses twice - still have one
client and the other one paid up and is now hosted on a free service
... fine with me.

This is something I've seen before in independent designers ... it's
a trap to think clients are so precious that you can't stand up for
yourself ... your clients are likely more business savvy than you so
you have to remind yourself that a client that doesn't pay is in
almost all cases no better than a blank slot in your client list.

Leave the working for nothing thing to musicians.

I'm now in a sucky situation where I am owed money for a project that
was still in the "proof of concept" stage ... the only action I can
take is telling them I'll delete the files on my hard drive and
charge again for recreating them if they don't pay up ... and that's
exactly what I'll do if the response to my third "I haven't received
your check yet" email doesn't result in a situation that satisfies me.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/