[thelist] Business/Payment Question........

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Sat Dec 29 03:48:42 CST 2001

hi,
You obviously haven't done any work for government agencies yet, or you'd be
very happy with a 30-60 day turnaround.
I wouldn't regard that as unreasonable. (if they stick to that schedule)
If I get paid within about 6 weeks after the day of acceptance of invoice,
I'm very happy.
Sometimes (like recently) I get the choice, I can do the work now, but
payment is only in the budget for 2002, so wait for payment 'till January,
(or six weeks after January) - or do the work in 2002, running the risk that
the project gets cancelled....

In your case, I'd simply talk to the customer. Ask whether they prefer you
to bill them weekly, to keep the amounts small etc. Ask if they have any
reason not to pay you, or if the work isn't up to scratch.
There's often a mutual agreement not more than a phone-call away, and if
there isn't, you know you've lost the client anyway, or they're not worth
having, and can start more aggressive action.

Cheers,
Richard.