[thelist] Templating solutions?

Lauri Vain lauri_lists at tharapita.com
Sat Dec 29 17:49:52 CST 2001

Hi there!

During the last two weeks or so, I've been bugged by a question deep inside me.
It's about various templating solutions used with dynamic web applications.

Oftentimes simply embedding the code into the HTML template does the trick.
Othertimes the
<code>include("header.inc");</code>    and
<code>include("footer.inc");</code> works its magic.

There are, however, also moments when such approaches aren't enough and
something else is required.

What does one do when the templates of most pages within one site differ in look
and feel? One possibility would be to specify a template, load it into a
variable and replace certain marked spots (a la "<!--left_navbar-->") with the
dynamically created code/text using eregi_replace() or something similar.

What are the templating solutions available? Pros and cons?

How do you solve your templating?

Yours,
Lauri
--