[thelist] Templating solutions?

Marty Landman marty at face2interface.com
Sat Dec 29 18:41:10 CST 2001

At 01:51 AM 12/30/01 +0200, Lauri Vain wrote:

>Oftentimes simply embedding the code into the HTML template does the trick.
>Othertimes the
><code>include("header.inc");</code>    and
><code>include("footer.inc");</code> works its magic.

Lauri,

I've found that a more generic solution has a template as its base with the
common elements filled in by the program and other software entities.
Taking an object oriented approach allows complexity to develop as needed
w/o requiring the whole system to be rewritten. I'm developing
http://feedthebulldog.com/ as an illustration of this using ASP & Visual Basic.

>There are, however, also moments when such approaches aren't enough and
>something else is required.

Nesting is a good technique especially when it empowers the author of the
site rather than the developer, i.e. as the programmer of the back-end it's
important to provide the webmaster with tools that will allow for needs
they have which you may not be able to properly anticipate. For instance in
my CMS/Authoring product SIMPL there is in addition to a site wide template
a facility called 'heaps' which allows for content independance from HTML
tagging.

For example on http://newdiets.com/ there are well over 100 recipes. Most
of them use a recipe heap, where the tagging and symbolic content
substitution is specied. Heap instances are used to specify the contents of
individual pages on the site and the tagging is done according to the
specifications of the heap at runtime. Which means that the corn bread
recipe on http://newdiets.com/Breads_and_Such/Corn_Bread.shtml can be
changed from italics to bold on the line between the title and ingredients
by changing the recipe heap.

**Changing the recipe heap will make this change instantly to every such
line on the site, at least all the ones that use the recipe heap.

hth,

Marty

Website Creation Made SIMPL(tm)
http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml