[thelist] Win2K - Services.exe 100% CPU usage

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sun Dec 30 01:58:37 CST 2001

At 01:17 PM 12/29/2001, Peter typed these words:

>How long have you had win2k running since the last reformat/reinstall?  Do
>you have the "RPC locator" service running as well?  If so, then disable
>it.  If it's not a server then I would recommend a reinstallation.  HTH

Thanks for that, Peter.

I had disabled that service (along with several others) months ago.

Recently, Windows Media Player stopped stretching MPEG files to fit the
window, and played it only at the original size. I tried to find a solution
to this (including thelist), but couldn't. My last resort was reinstalling
Windows (it's bloody annoying that it reinstalls IE5 over my IE6).

This didn't fix the Media Player problem, unfortunately. But it apparently
changed the startup type of some services back to default :(

I turned off all unnecessary services again (setting them to "Manual"
instead of "Disabled") and the problem is fixed.

Thanks again. :)

<tip type="Windows 2000 performance optimisation" author="Madhu Menon">

If you're running Windows 2000 Professional on your home PC that's not
connected to any network, there are several services you can disable to get
a fair bit of performance boost. Services like Messenger, DHCP Client,
Clipbook service, Remote Registry Service, etc. are all not required on a
home PC.

For a full list of services that can be disabled on a Win2K home PC, go to:
http://is-it-true.org/nt/utips/utips76.shtml

</tip>

Regards,

Madhu